Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Review: Diamond Candles

This review is WAY, way overdue but now I finally have the chance to talk about it! Thank goodness for one free afternoon (a rarity) during the school week.

Diamond Candles contacted me a few months ago to talk about their candles; now a candle is a candle is a candle, but what really intrigued me was their concept: in addition to classic candles  (12 ounces for $19.95) that you find, they also have "Ring Candles" (24 ounces for $24.95).
Lemon Lavender Classic Candle. Source: Diamond Candles
Apple Slice Ring Candle. Source: Diamond Candles
They are exactly as described: inside each of these Ring Candles, there is a ring that is worth anywhere between $10 and $5000. I have to admit, when I recieved my ring candle (Diamond Candles let me pick the scent and then sent one over for me to review) I was really impatient, and was burning it as often as I could so that I can get to the ring and see the surprise.

It's a fun twist on a traditional candle; the ring is packaged inside heat-safe wrapping and once you see it in the wax, pluck it out with a pair of tweezers, wait for it to cool and unwrap the ring inside. You will know if it's worth more than $10 if there is a mark on the inside indicating if its 14k or 18k (something along those lines; you will need to get it appraised). They offer a handy how-to guide for reference.
People upload their photos to the website, which provides an interactive experience.
Source: Diamond Candles
Besides the ring, I really liked my candle for other reasons: first, it is environmentally friendly. The candles are made oout of soy, so that means when you burn the candle, you are not burning a byproduct of crude oil, which is what paraffin wax is made out of. The wicks are cotton and the soy is sources from US soybeans.

There is also a lot of variety; I had such a hard time choosing my scent! I narrowed it down to Ocean Mist because I wanted to be reminded of my trip to the Cape (and I was having back to school blues/stress, so this helped out a lot).
Crisp Cucumber and Melon? Yes, please! The description of the scents helped me narrow my pick.
Source: Diamond Candles
The scent was not overpowering and more importantly, the candle lasts for a long time. I still have not gone through half of my 21 ounce candle and it has taken at least 5-10 hours to get to my ring.

Interested in trying out a Diamond Candle of your own? There is a small giveaway happening! I think the timing is great since the holidays are coming up and all the holiday scents are some of my favorites.

Go check out the site and comment below - which candle scent would you want to try? Leave an email address so I can contact you once the giveaway is over on November 29 (Black Friday)!

21 comments:

  1. I'm curious as to what ring you got!! I've heard lots of good things about the candles/rings from friends. I really should get myself one and support a local NC business/agriculture. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to try the Candy Cane scent!! :) hkallam86@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. i would love candy cane or mistletoe! both would be perfect for the holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That IS a fun twist to a traditional candle! And I love that they're environment friendly! Would love to try out the Gingerbread Latte Ring Candle! z.slothouwer@upcmail.nl

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a cute idea and a fun gift to give! I think the Christmas Tree scented candle would be a nice fresh scent at the cabin.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, wow - I am always on the lookout for great-smelling soy candles. I'd love to try a Lavender Lemon or Cinnamon Tea candle. Thanks for the giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm really intrigued by the scent 'fresh snow'! And more importantly, what is your ring???

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would choose Pomegranate Lemonade. Sounds wonderful!
    gussek at Hotmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would choose either the Christmas Kitchen or the Cranberry Chutney ring candle.
    tlobner (on ravelry) or tiffanylobner at sbcglobal.net

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would like to try the Hawaiian Coconut scent.
    eugeniewu at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Christmas tree! I can't wait for that smell to fill the house.
    (Vegimama on rav)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'd like to try Christmas Tree!

    ReplyDelete
  13. One of the new Christmas scents! Candy Cane maybe.
    artest.world@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'd love to try the cinnamon pinecone. Thanks for the chance.

    lmecoll on Ravelry
    lmecoll@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Paigecarter8@aol.com I first heard of Diamond Candles a few months ago. A ring in each candle, no way! Was my first thought. The candles are made from soy and the company itself began and is still run here in the US. I love products that keep the environment in mind. This seems to be a grey company with a wonderful product. If I was selected, I would choose cinnamon pinecone

    ReplyDelete
  16. The cupcake one! Or Winter Festival. They have some nice scents!

    jessicawyatt9@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Pomegranate Lemonade. I love lemony scents

    ReplyDelete
  18. I would love the cinnamon pine cone ring candle! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. All the scents sound so wonderful! I've seen so many that have been discontinued or sold out :( But I'd love to try the Hawaiian Coconut! Thanks for your review! cbtanayan@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. I would like Banana Nut Bread Ring Candle. Thanks leetrahan@roadrunner.com

    ReplyDelete