Saturday, January 26, 2013

Episode 48: Kitchen Aids are NOT Ballwinders

Subway Knits is sponsored by Roman Hills: Pretty Nerdy, Pretty, Nerdy Yarn. Please show support by clicking on the link above.
Pom Pom is the knitting magazine for intelligent, creative types! Head to our website for an independent take on patterns, witty and interesting writing, great photography, and much more at pompommag.com.  
Subway Knits is also sponsored by Gynx Yarns, which offers a wide range of hand dyed colorways with new colorways added all the time. There are a variety of bases available, all of which are ethically sourced. Visit Gynx Yarns today to find the perfect yarn for your next project.

On the Needles
Finished the body of the Larch Cardigan, but not done because I had sleeve problems. I stored my pretty sock/dk yarn on my bookshelf so it and gives me some inspiration.
Knitting Trainwrecks
I used a Japanese 5 DPN, which is between a US 4 & 5 for the Larch Sleeves. However, that does not magically make it a 4, so I had to rip out the sleeve and start again.

I thought using a Kitchen Aid mixer after reading this tutorial would be a great way to wind yarn, since my ball winder is in Brooklyn again. It wasn't.
Spin Right Round
I finished the Corriedale pencil roving.
Now I have to learn some new technical skills: Navajo plying, spinning from the fold, and short forward long draw. Have to learn these so I can spin up my Lisa Souza Wensleydale in the colorway Petroglyph. Thanks to Bristol Ivy, Donna Druchunas, Debora Robson and Beth Smith for their advice and tips!

Swatch and Learn
The kids are showing their knitting to their parents, and the principal walked in while they were all industriously knitting away one week. Still need to work more with the boys.

Vogue Knitting Live Recap
See here, here and here! And more photos here. Thanks to Vogue Knitting for the pass and everyone who has mentioned the recaps. This is my swag:
Announcements
The winter QAL is finishing up this week, so get your FOs in for a chance to win a skein of yarn from Roman Hills and a project bag from Second Avenue Swag.

2nd Year Podiversary/50th Episode Giveaway is still going on! Enter by asking me a question here.

We are reading Lady Almina and the Real Downton Abbey for our first read-along.

Brenda Castiel is offering listeners a 25% discount for the Daisy Buchanan hat and Lady Grantham hat with the code DOWNTON until February 28.

Thanks for listening!
Closing Song: "Feel the Same Way" by Poema

Listen here, and subscribe here.

2 comments:

  1. Oh my what a mess!! I am so sorry about your Kitchen Aid experience but I did get a good chuckle out of it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much Maria for all the knit-love! Great to see you again at VKL and look forward to working with you in the near future.

    ReplyDelete