Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Hurrication, Day 2: Fundraiser and an Update

Hey all,


Thank you so much for the kind words and thoughts via Rav and Twitter. Thankfully, my family and I are safe and have been hearing updates from my friends in the area. We didn’t flood, leak or lose power so it was more like a waiting game, snarky tweets aside.
Schools are still closed, which demonstrates the magnitude of this storm. NYC Public Schools never close. The last time they were this extensively (= more than 1 day) closed, it was the huge blizzard of January ‘95 with more than 5 feet of snow, but mass transit still ran.
Currently, the subways are flooded, and the streets are filled with debris. NYU-Langone Hospital had to evacuate and there are stories of brave doctors, nurses, EMTs and other first responders carrying down NICU/PICU patients and others down flights of stairs.
There are also pics of downed trees in my neighborhood and the sidewalks are ripped up. It’s quite eerie and nerve wrecking.
As such, I want to give back even in the smallest way possible, and this group has done that before with the Japan Earthquake fundraiser, and I hope we can rise to the occasion again.

Prizes: 
Velvet Hippo donated a set of Full Dose Stitch markers.
Jaala Spiro, is donating a skein of Knitcircus Yarns kettle-dyed sock yarn in the color Perseus (a saturated mid-to-deep blue). It’s made in the USA, 80% Merino superwash, 20% nylon, 420 yards.


New Stitch a Day is offering an online class of the winner's choice as a prize.
Giddy Davies,  a UK-based designer is offering up 3 patterns of the winner's choice.
Amy Christoffers, friend of the show is also offering 3 of her self-published patterns (winner's choice).


One small Rhinebeck/NY Sheep & Wool 2012 Project bag, donated by twinsetellen of the twinset designs podcast.
1 skein of yarn in the winner's choice of color from propaganda yarn either in the DK (dacha) or Worsted (Volga) bases.
1 skein of Sanguine Gryphon Skinny Bugga in the colorway Autumn Tiger Beetle (and two tubes of coordinating beads, optional) from stitchmistress of the tvknittingpodcast.


commuter knitter podcast is offering one skein of either Wollmeise, Socks that Rock or MadTosh - winner’s choice. Photo here
knitty city is giving away a gift card to the shop!

Lisa Roman of Roman Hills is donating a skein of East River Skyline (with different dimensions of stripes from the Lokken pattern by Megi Burcl in KnitScene Accessories, 2012). 
yarnpop is donating a Yarn Pop pack one Large and one Small Yarn Pop in the B&W Dandelion Print.

Brenda Castiel is donating any 3 patterns in her Ravelry Shop (winner's choice). 


Andi Smith is donating a PDF copy of her forthcoming book, Big Foot Knits, published by Cooperative Press, and 3 lots of 2 patterns each. 

We also have a pattern offer of up to $10 via Ravelry of the winner's choice from Allison of the Hollywood Knitter podcast!

Finally, Brooklyn Tweed is offering 3 patterns of the winner's choice from their collection.

Thank you so much, everybody.

Here is how to purchase your “lottery” ticket:
  1. Please make a donation of at least $5 to the charity of your choice (Charity Navigator is a good place to make sure it’s legit) or the Red Cross if you are not sure of a charity/fundraising site.Yahoo has a link of charities, and there is also New York Cares.
  2. Forward the receipt/screenshot of confirmation to subway.knits@gmail.com and note your Ravelry user ID and amount donated to confirm the donation.
  3. Post that you have made a donation in this thread for the prizes.
  4. On November 25, 5pm EST I will lock the thread and run a RNG, which will indicate the winners of the prizes.
Thank you.

32 comments:

  1. I purchased the Lorna's Laces $5 sock pattern set - proceeds go to to Sandy relief. Hope that counts, and if not, that's okay too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I donated $10 while watching the benefit concert on NBC last night. A screenshot from my phone has been sent to you.

    Adrienne (aka WhimsicalRain)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I donated $10 to the Red Cross and forwarded you a screen cap of the receipt. Thanks!

    Mel C (LadyGreyy on Rav)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just donated 10.00 to the Red Cross, a charity dear to my heart. Stay warm & safe!

    fowlervillesdeb (Ravery tag)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I donated $10 to the American Red Cross. Thank you for coordinating this fundraiser, and thanks to all who donated the prizes and all the entrants as well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Morning! I donated $25 to the Red Cross! Thanks for doing this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is really cool. I had donated before I saw this. Knitters rock!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I donated to the Red Cross through iTunes, very easy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm a NY native and donated to the Hurricane fund through City Hall on www.nyc.gov.

    I'm not entering the giveaway, I just don't think it's appropriate for me to do when so many of my fellow NYers are really having a hard time. I really just want to say thanks for doing this!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I made a donation to the American Red Cross.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I made a donation to the American Red Cross. We have friends in Jersey and my daughter took a generator to Jersey. I know that Jersey has a ton of snow and I pray for all of you in New York and New Jersey to stay safe.
    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  12. I made a donation to the Mayors Fund to Advance NYC. It was nice that a friend of mine setup something for his marathon entry. I am so thankful for my relatively small issues in all of this.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Donated to Red Cross. I live in Jersey City on the waterfront, and our neighbors had whole homes destroyed. I feel very lucky with my own situation, and hope all who feel blessed in some way find a way to pay it forward to those in need.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I donated to the HONY/Tumbler Hurricane relief fundraiser. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I donated to the HONY/Tumbler Hurricane relief fundraiser. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I donated to the HONY/Tumbler Hurricane relief fundraiser. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I donated to the HONY/Tumbler Hurricane relief fundraiser. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I donated to the HONY/Tumbler Hurricane relief fundraiser. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I donated to the HONY/Tumbler Hurricane relief fundraiser. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I donated to the HONY/Tumbler Hurricane relief fundraiser. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dont know why this shows up 4 times...sorry.

      Delete
  22. I made a donation to the Red Cross. Thanks for doing this. It's nice to get a kick in the pants to make the donation :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks for pulling this give-away together and providing an incentive to up my monthly donation to the American Red Cross. And thanks to all the generous folks who donated prizes for the drawing.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I made a $10 donation to Catholic Charities for Hurricane Sandy Relief. Thanks for the reminder to give thanks for the ability to make this donation.

    ReplyDelete
  25. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I've made a $10 donation to New York Cares. Wish I could send much, much more...

    ReplyDelete
  27. I donated $10.00 to the Charity Navigator to be used as needed. Thank you for doing this!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thank you, this is a wonderful effort! made my donation today, hope you get many more!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I just donated $10 to the American Red Cross. Thanks for inspiring more people to donate to disaster relief :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. I donated $10 to the American Red Cross, and forwarded my email receipt to you. Thank you for inspiring us to do good.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I bought the Lorna's Laces patterns for $5 and donated $10 to the Red Cross (which I forwarded to you). I also sent a warm sweater and some hats to my granddaughter in Harlem. Does that count? As much as I miss it, today I'm grateful my daughter and family no longer live in Red Hook, which was hit so hard by Sandy.

    ReplyDelete