Sunday, January 15, 2012

Episode 25: Stitching the Past

On the Needles
The Bella Mitts that I am knitting with Yarn Bee Melody Bulky that I purchased from Hobby Lobby back in South Carolina are 50% done. I finished the thumb of the mitt though it's a bit short. That being said, it has been so cold in NYC lately that while walking to and from VK Live I have been just wearing the one completed mitt in my left hand and sticking my right hand in my pocket. 

The one sad thing though which has stolen my knitting mojo even though I have a three day weekend is that I am missing some knitting. Its really important knitting because its for my partner in a swap I am participating in with my knitting group and its deadline knitting, which I am already behind in because I was first in a deadlock over what to knit and then now I can't find it. I really hope its in my work bag at school.

Stashers Anonymous 
All over twitter there is talk of the stash down and while I am gung ho for it, major knitting events are the exception for me which will be discussed later in the show. But first, Rachel from On the Round sent me a lovely skein of Wensleydale handspun in the colroway Heirloom which is in the neutral range but with hints of pink and green. It's got that rustic quality to it and a small itch factor which is totally fine by me! I am going to knit up the Jo March Mittens by Shalimar yarns in these as Rachel suggested these would make great fingerless mitts.
I also received a skein of yarn from Lisa of Roman Hills - she custom dyed it for my birthday! Its called The Beldon't.
Knitting Finds
Piddleloop Bags - my friend Regina has been raving about these projects bags ever since I met  her. I have always admired them from afar on Etsy and finally took the plunge. A lot of the fabrics that Jen and her sister use are very Marimekko-esque in their style - bright colorful prints that definitely put a smile on your face. They are very high quality as they are seamed and serged so you know they wont fall apart.

Stitching the Past
I posted a blog entry about the Coast and Country: The Gansey podcast and episode about the Gansey in Scotland a few days ago - it was really interesting to hear about howthe Moray Firth Gansey Project is working to preserve their local heritage through the gansey. One of the issues is that the men who the ganseys are knitted for as mentioned in the podcast wear the ganseys when they are buried, so according to the interviews, there are few of them remaining. There was a lovely recorded conversation about knitting the gansey (no pattern!) and what it meant for the people of the area.
Source: Maritime Heritage East Museum, England
However, just even scratching the surface with regards to ganseys brings up a slew of issues and some misconceptions - while in the interview the women discuss how the patterns in the ganseys help identify lost fishermen, but in Scotland?

 Vogue Knitting Live Recap
This weekend was Vogue Knitting Live in Manhattan - at one point I wasn't sure that I was going to go, but in the end I was able to make it and I'm glad I did. Much like how MS&W and Rhinebeck had different goals  my goal for VKL was overall, something different. A different fibre, perhaps something that I have never tried before.

I did find different things: 100% overspun silk from Creatively Dyed,  and the Zealana Rimu yarn from New Zealand - its fingering weight and 60% merino, 40% possum. That's something new. I got it in the colroway shadow for a MC and Kiwicrush, a chartreusy color for a colorwork hat. Apparently, Possum fibre has a bunch of really interesting attributes.

Zealana is also part of the initiative with Woolyarns to support the Kaori Wildlife Sanctuary in the Wellington area of NZ.

The best part of the marketplace was Long Island Livestock Company's booth. What caught my attention was that it was on Long Island which is pretty rare and the people that run it, Christopher and Tabbethia were extremely sweet and knowledable about the llamas and alpacas that are on their farm - they have educational programs which I hope I definitely will be able to attend in the future about the farm.
 On Saturday after our classes, I met up with Amy and Lisa of Roman Hills and our friend Shelley, who was showing her new DellaQ travel knitting needles/notions pouch in Margherita. I liked it so much that even though the market was closing, I ran and was able to snag one at the last minute.

Knit-Alongs
What began as a chat about knitting the Larch Cardigan between Amy and I is now a full fledged, no holds barred, free for all Amy Christoffers Knit-Along. If you have been interested in knitting any of her patterns, join us over in the Sweater Odyssey 2012 group - there will be prizes! A skein of Roman Hills yarn, a row counter from Velvet Hippo, stitch markers from Madam Tootsie, and Amy Christoffers herself is donating a pattern of the winner's choosing. I am really looking forward to this - the KAL is from February 1-March 31 and I think that's enough time to crank out a new sweater for myself.

The second round of the Queue-Along is coming up also on February 1, so if an Amy Christoffers pattern pops up un your queue before the closing date of February 1 go right ahead! The QAL is to encourage us to knit things off our queues and if you want to add anything to it, the last day to do so is February 1. There will be prizes and I will announce those in the next episode or on February 1 on the Ravelry group and blog, depending on if I can squeeze another episode in. I will say though, the prizes are even more amazing and I wish I could have them all for myself.

Thanks for Listening!
 Closing Song: "Super Cool" by Bang Sugar Bang

No comments:

Post a Comment