Sunday, August 21, 2011

Episode 17: Pattern Binge

On the Needles
Because I left my February Lady Sweater in my parent's car on Sunday, and there was a miscommunication between my dad and I about him coming by so I can get it back, I didn't get the sweater back until Wednesday night. I was still traumatized by the Snapdragon Tam and wasn't up for much else, so I decided to cast on for a pair of Dionysus Socks which is a free pattern, using Knitsch Fingering Weight yarn in the colorway Mansfield Revisited.

On Friday night, I cast on Norie from The Shetland Trader by Gudrun Johnston. Inspired by seeing the version by Rachel of the bmore crafty blog - join the Small Knits Knit-A-Long on twitter by using the hashtag #skkal.

Knitting Travels
My mom, sister and I went to Socrates Sculpture Park on Wednesday night to see Biutiful with Javier Bardem. It has an outdoor cinema - the most popular and well known cinema is at Bryant Park where there is the big race to grab a spot on the lawn, but there are other locations as well.

This is where I tried to knit in the dark for the first time; granted it wasn't pitch dark b/c of the film and general NYC light pollution but it was dark enough to try it out.

Hung out with Abby at Knitty City and after that we had lunch at this vegan cafe called Peacefood Cafe - first time at a vegan restaurant but the food was pretty good. As a result of eating there, am doing some research about sheep shearing and treatment of sheep. Sheep do need to be sheared, lest they look like Shrek, but the fleeces do get heavy and can cause them to overheat.

Knitting Finds
I did go to Knitty City with a mission - I needed some wooden circular needles to prepare for my trip to Turks and Caicos this Monday. I like wooden needles, though I do make exceptions for my signature DPNs and also, the ChiaoGoo metal lace needles that I picked up at MS&W. GreenTriangleGirl from A Playful Day podcast also talks about them as well in a recent episode. ChiaoGoo also has wooden circulars, made of Moso Bamboo.

Jared Flood recently came out with Wool People, a collection of patterns by various designers highlighting the Shelter line.

Interweave Knits and Knitscene Fall are out, but except for 1 or 2 patterns that I would wait for to be published individually, aren't really worth it.

Announcement
Anyone up for a Fall-Winter Knit-A-Long? More specifically, a Knit the Queue-A-Long. We all have patterns clogging up our queue and I would like to start up a new KAL so that we can get those must-want-to-knit patterns off the queue and into the projects page. More details coming soon - for now, I would like to see who is interested.

Fin
Closing song: "The Summer Wind" by Madeleine Peyroux from Half the Perfect World

1 comment:

  1. Another great podcast! And I love your comprehensive show notes :) I think that a queue-a-long is a fantastic idea! Thanks for all you do!

    ReplyDelete